Saturday, September 26, 2009

Home!

POST BY MARGO

Yesterday was a busy travel day. We went from Guangzhou to Hong Kong to Chicago to Atlanta. We woke up at 5:00 in the morning and didn't get home to Macon until just after midnight (just over 30 hours of travel time). Rebecca Xiu was a wonderful traveller and did not cry or complain the entire journey. She was able to sleep on the plane.

She officially became a U.S. citizen when her VISA was stamped at Immigration at the Chicago airport. I would have like to take a picture, but no cell phones or cameras are allowed.

When we came home last night, Stephanie, our neighbor was up and excited to see her (thank you, Patrick, for mowing our lawn). Rebecca got a quick tour of our house and then took a tour of Stephanie's house. Then, when Stephanie left, the crying began. This was a similar cry to the one that we experienced on the first day we met her - shrill and emotional. I decided to take the opportunity that she was already crying to go ahead and empty out the suitcase, since that was a touchy subject for her when we were packing in the hotel room. Fortunately, it did not last nearly as long as the day we met, and I was able to distract her after about 15 minutes by encouraging her to explore her room. She was first motivated to cut every label off of anything new in her room. She is very particular about removing the tags and wants to make sure that they are off. And she insists on using the scissors. The crying officially ended when she found her school supplies basket. She was very excited by all of the 'Hello Kitty' items in the room. Thanks to Britt family who supplied 'Hello Kitty' pajamas - which she wore immediately after taking her shower. And also for decorating her room with balloons. Did I mention what great friends and neighbors I have!!!

Let's get to the reverse Jet Lag part of the night...

So, I stayed in her room until she fell asleep, and decided to do some laundry. Sometime around 3 o'clock in the morning, there she was, wide awake! We organized her room for a while, I microwaved some frozen chicken nuggets for her (dipped in ketchup), made some tea for her, and then the 'Ni Hao, Kai Lan' marathon began. This is a semi-educational cartoon on Nick Jr. featuring a Chinese girl. I was actually impressed with how much Mandarin is used on the show, and Rebecca definitely appeared interested in the show. After a couple of episodes, I tried to get her to go back to bed; but no, she decided it was time for a walk. Since 'Kai Lan' had already encouraged me to put on my slippers (in Chinese), out we went at 5 o'clock in the morning around the block in our pajamas. This is half a mile, so I figured it would tire her out, but nope, didn't do the trick.

I decided that we needed to start making flash cards to label everything around the house (in Chinese, pinyin, and English), so we worked on that for a hour or so. Still not sleepy? So woke up Mike to let the dog out. She is really scared of both of our cats and the dogs. Some more shrieking and screaming...

Next we were off to Publix to go food shopping with her. Once again, great behavior at the store. We even went up and down every isle, and no grumpiness at all! When we got back, I knew she had to be tired, so I filled her up with grocery store goodies and sent her to bed. Yeah, at 10:30 a.m. she was tucked back in bed and asleep!

Mike is busy running errands for me and making a big pot of chicken soup for Rebecca. All is great with our little daughter asleep in her room.

10 comments:

  1. I've been anxiously awaiting your "home" post and glad to hear it is going well so far. I am the mom to one of Rebecca's friends in Zhongshan, so this is all helping me out and preparing me for our trip. We are not too far from you, a days trip in VA. It would be nice for the girls to see each other now and then. Thanks again for sharing.

    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see all of you, but don't want to overwhelm Rebecca. Let me know what I can do to help....Michele & Jensen

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you are all home, safely! We are anxious to meet Rebecca. Thank you for sharing your experiences. We have all witnessed lessons of love, joy and compassion from your blog.

    Gardner and Cleta

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome Back!
    We can't wait to meet Rebecca and are very happy to have all 3 of you safely back home.

    I'm not sure what I'm going to do for reading material now, though...

    Mike, I'm going to need you to start on the book pretty soon, but you are going to have to let Margo edit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay, welcome home Rebecca! I love hearing both both of your perspectives in separate posts - keep it coming! And take more pictures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. welcome home to all three of you!!! can't wait to meet Rebecca and hear more about your exprerience. When yall adjust to being home let us know so we can meet this precious gift you have received. Hug and kiss her for us! Let us know if you need anything!

    The BRITTS

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you made it home safely. I'll be thinking of you all over these first few days!
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome home. Nancy and I send our love to all three of you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome home!!!! I am so glad you all made it safe & sound!!! I can't wait to meet her!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome Home!
    What an amazing journey you three have already taken, and yet it really has only just begun.

    The three of you are very blessed -- I am very happy for you.

    ReplyDelete