Thursday, August 6, 2009

Open House

Last night was Open House at the elementary school. Wow, the classrooms are so small and cluttered! The teachers seemed nice, but...

I was so excited that Rebecca Xiu would be going to kindergarten with Julia's son. But they kept saying that because of her age and how accelerated schools are in China, she probably will be ready for 1st grade. She is growing up too fast and I don't even have her home with me yet!

I already bought the kindergarten sleep mat and was getting excited for me, I mean Rebecca, to use it.

1 comment:

  1. I'm an elementary school teacher and my Girl from (who is 2 weeks younger than your daughter) is only doing Kindergarten class this year.

    Your daughter will be going through a lot with all the transitions that will be occuring in her life. Most of the children of her age(who are from an SWI) wuill be lucky to have attended any school at all. The comment about Chinese schools may be appropriate for families immigrating whose child went to a "good" school, but you will find that the type of school that the children from the SWIs go to will be very different

    I would push very hard for her to be placed in the Kindergarten class and not in 1st grade. If she is incredibly bright you can always advance her a year in the future, but if not you will set her up for less of a struggle while she gets used to her family and school expectations

    Lyn

    ReplyDelete